Monday 14 November 2011

HR Giger Species / Old artwork

A few months back I bought 'species design-by hr giger' the art book showing the process behind creating 'Sil' the alien lead on the film Species,I had wanted the book for years but it was always a bit pricey but I did have a old issue of Cinefantastique magazine showing the details making the creature.
I thought Steve Johnson did a good job bringing the creature to life and he mentions in the magazine that he was upset the films lighting was rushed as it meant that Sil's transparent body was never seen properly.One scene which I thought worked perfect was the underwater alien sex scene,created using strobe lights underwater it only lasts a few seconds but that was enough for me to want to draw it.
I was 15 when I drew this from memory,its gotten a bit damaged and dirty over the years,I never did finish it I think because I ran out of the blue pencil I was using!.

The original is about 1 meter x 1 and a half meters big,
I found it pretty crushed and tried to flatten and photograph it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment